12 February 2013

Stephen Keshi To Reconsider Resignation

The Super Eagles of Nigeria will be hosted at the Presidential Villa today Tuesday, February 12, 2013 but what was to be a big celebration might just be an awkward gathering following controversies surrounding head coach Stephen Keshi’s resignation.

Keshi reportedly announced his resignation on Monday, a day after winning the African cup. This was confirmed by the Eagles Media Officer, Ben Alaiya on Monday night. ‘It is true’, Alaiya told Punchng.com.

I gave them (Nigeria Football Federation) my letter of resignation immediately after last night’s game, but I haven’t heard from them yet’, Keshi told Metro FM on Monday night.

Insiders believed that Keshi was put under a lot of pressure from the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) while the tournament was on. Nigeria couldn’t secure a win until after their first two matches
Before the last group match against Ethiopia the NFF had issued an official press release stating that Keshi had ‘no excuse for failure’.

However, things might be looking brighter as Keshi has now released a new statement, suggesting he might reconsider his resignation.

His statement below:

My attention has been drawn to reports in the media that I have resigned my appointment as the Head Coach of Super Eagles of Nigeria.
While I have had cause to express my displeasure over some issues that happened in the course of our participation in the AFCON 2013, which my team won by the grace of God, especially concerning my relationship with the Nigerian Football Federation, I have since had opportunity to discuss the various issues with all concerned. I am therefore pleased to say that I have reconsidered my position and have decided to continue with my job.
 I want to thank the Honourable Minister of Sports, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, for his swift and kind intervention.

Signed

Stephen Okechukwu Keshi 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here