16 August 2013

Jesse Jackson Jr. Sentenced to 2½ Years In Prison

A judge on Wednesday sentenced former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. to 2½ years in prison for treating his campaign fund like a "personal piggy bank," siphoning $750,000 over the years to pay for personal items such as spa treatments and televisions.
Mr. Jackson's wife, Sandi Jackson, a former Chicago alderman, was sentenced to a year in prison for her role in the scheme.

The former congressman, who had represented a Chicago district for more than a decade, resigned last year amid a Federal Bureau of Investigation probe of his finances. He pleaded guilty earlier this year.

Mr. Jackson broke down several times in admitting wrongdoing to U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who is no relation to the defendant. "I misled the American people. I misled the House of Representatives," Mr. Jackson said. "I was wrong and I don't fault anyone."

The lawmaker wept as he talked about the pain he had caused his family, particularly his father, civil-rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson.

"I also want to apologize to my dad and my mother," he said.

Watching from the spectator section of the courtroom, the elder Mr. Jackson shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

"I need to be as far away from everybody for a while as I can be," the younger Mr. Jackson said.

At one point during Wednesday's hearing the ex-lawmaker begged the judge to spare his wife any prison time. The judge agreed to stagger the two sentences, with Mr. Jackson going to prison first, so one parent remains outside prison to raise the Jacksons' two children, ages 9 and 13.

"My heart breaks every day with the pain this has caused my babies," Ms. Jackson told the court.

But the judge criticized Ms. Jackson for seeking leniency almost solely on the basis of her children. "You knew what you were doing, and you knew what you were doing was wrong," said the judge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here