30 August 2013

Usain Bolt Claims Victory in Zurich Diamond League 100m

Jamaica's Olympic and world champion Usain Bolt recovered from a slow start to power to victory over 100m in the Diamond League meeting in Zurich.
 
The 27-year-old clocked 9.90 seconds to beat compatriot Nickel Ashmeade (9.94) and American Justin Gatlin (9.96).
 
Britain's Adam Gemili finished eighth in a season's best of 10.06, just outside his personal best of 10.05. His compatriot Shara Proctor, sixth at the recent World Championships in Moscow, won the long jump with 6.88m.

Bolt believed he could run under 9.80 at the Letzigrund Stadium, but that never looked likely once he had started poorly.
 
"I think the longer the season goes on, the worse my start gets," Bolt told BBC Sport. "I'll be happy to go home at the end of the season. I thought I was fit but I wasn't in the shape I wanted to be in."
Gemili, 19, also rued his start, which cost him the chance of breaking 10 seconds for the first time.

"I fell out of the blocks and lost about a tenth of a second or so," he said. "I tried to drive out of the blocks but stumbled and had to pick myself up. "My drive phase was limited and in a field like this you can't do it. It is a great learning experience and I'm happy with a PB [for the season]. "It is great to come into a race like this and I now know that, if I can execute, I can do well and I will take that forward into the future."

Proctor, meanwhile, beat all three World Championship medallists. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here